Two most popular approaches which are used to build hybrid apps are following,
Web-kit is a web browser engine without status bars and toolbars. One can embed applications inside the apps to load web pages from the web-kit or phone storage. It supports both android and iOS platforms.
Hybrid Native apps using hybrid tools (React Native, Xamarin, Flutter)
Hybrid tools allow developers to build cross-platform mobile apps by writing code in one programming language. These platforms provide the native experience at run time and coverts the common into platform-specific components.
What is the native app development?
Native app development is the process of creating software programs for specific platforms or devices. One can build native apps for Android, iOS, smart TVs and all kinds of gadgets. Mainly focus on native app development is on Google’s Android and Apple’s iOS devices because these are the most used mobile OSs nowadays. You don’t need a mobile browser to run the native apps. Just download them from Apple’s app store or google play. After installation, these apps will be visible on your mobile screen, and you can access them by tapping on the respective icon.
Stuck between which approach to adopt while developing your business application? Read this
What is a web application?
Its a computer program that uses web technology and a web browser to perform the task over the internet. Web applications use the combination of server-side scripts and client-side scripts to handle the storage of retrieval and present information to the user. Moreover, these applications allow employees (users) to work on a shared document/code-base or share information or project(s) collaboration.
Read more on how a mobile responsive web application is a must-have for your business
Hybrid Application Development Frameworks:
There is a lot of cross-platform hybrid application development platforms available. Every platform has its advantages and disadvantages. The top 10 hybrid cross-platform mobile app frameworks are enlisted below,
1. React Native
Hybrid app Development cost: 15$ to 25$ Hourly.
- It covers both IOS and Android platforms.
- It provides automatic error detection.
- One can use its code in different native platforms.
- It provides a lot of reusable components and acts as a time saver for developers.
- Development of native application is way more efficient.
- It uses less memory and provides excellent responsive time.
- It supports Node.js. so, Its easier to get familiar by someone who has a strong development experience in MEAN stack.
- Difficulty in the development of custom modules.
- Navigation components have some complexities, which creates difficulties for new user experience.
In 2019, Google released the flutter 1.12 at the interactive flutter event. Flutter is an open-source UI software development kit that can be used to create native products for various operational systems.
Hybrid app language: Dart.
Hybrid app Development cost: 20$ to 35$ hourly.
- It is an open-source technology.
- Flutter provides real-time updates. It means you don’t need to relaunch your product to make changes.
- It provides a lot of widgets, which makes customization easy.
- It(Dart) is the default programming language for all apps of fuchsia OS.
- Google XD is supporting it.
- It does not have a large support community yet.
- It has a bigger APK size.
- Absence of free advanced tools, since it’s a relatively new framework.
- Only caters to mobile app development and no support for developing web-driven applications.
Initially, it was released in 2013 by Drifty. Ionic is the HTML5 mobile app development framework that is used to build hybrid mobile apps. The rich set of advanced features such as interactive paradigms, typography, and mobile component which makes it more accessible. To get most out of it, developers use it with angular js, react, and vue.js.
Hybrid app Development cost: 15$ to 35$ hourly.
- It is an easily maintainable framework.
- It’s easy to read and scale.
- It’s open-source and free.
- It supports the angular framework.
- It’s a highly reliable platform.
- It provides low performance of end products.
- There is some inconvenience in-app navigation.
- Compromises have to be made on user-experience.
It’s an open-source development platform based on the .NET Standard Framework. Xamarin firstly introduced in 2001 by Miguel de lcaza, and the Xamarin Company was founded in 2011 and acquired by Microsoft in 2016. It has a large community of more than 1.4 million developers around the world. Xamarin is known to make universal apps with the native look and feel, and run them on different devices.
Hybrid app development language: C# based on .net framework.
Hybrid app Development cost: 20$ to 50$ hourly.
- Microsoft supports Xamarin. This tech giant provides advanced tools to improve the framework.
- More than 70% of the code can be reused for cross-platform, which enables developers to make alterations and create their customized business applications.
- Simplified and easy testing language.
- Performance is similar to native products.
- It comes with a massive cost of business development license ($999).
- Integration can be difficult if applications are created using Xamarin.
- It provides support only for its library.
- Xamarin’s.net Standard framework doesn’t support SOAP API.
5. Mobile Angular UI
It’s a useful framework for anyone who is using bootstrap or angular Js. To build amazing HTML5 mobile apps, you will get the best of the bootstrap and angular from this platform. Mobile Angular UI provides an extension to Bootstrap 3 without external libraries and extensions.
Hybrid app Development cost: 20$ to 25$ hourly.
- It is an open-source framework, and one can supply optional libraries as a bonus.
- It provides the best mobile experience due to the fastclick.js and overthrow.js framework.
- Some internal issues can initiate failures.
6. Corona SDK
In 2009, Solar2D was a software development kit made by corona labs in 2009. It is the best solution for the gaming industry. It allows the developer to add engaging graphics to their apps and scaling images for different screens. With corona, developers can build games for all major platforms, including Android and iOS.
Hybrid app development language: Lua (corona API).
Hybrid app Development cost: 35$ to 50$ hourly.
- A developer sees the results instantly when changes are made to the system.
- You can quickly set up your working environment due to an available simulator.
- Stable and prompt operation.
- There are some compatibility issues with external libraries.
- Lua is not a popular programming language. That’s why it makes difficulties for the developer.
7. Jquery mobile
Jquery mobile is a touch-optimized Hybrid Application Development framework developed by the jquery project team in 2014. This platform defends its individuality and does not try to adopt the native look as other frameworks do. Jquery mobile is for those who want to create something different than templates. It works flawlessly in a variety of environments.
Hybrid app Development cost: 25$ to 38$ hourly.
- One can create its theme without additional code using ThemeRoller.
- It provides responsiveness for different sizes and devices.
- One can easily add collapsible menus for their application.
- Its an old technology and reaches its ideal state after undergone numerous changes.
- It takes minimal effort to create different app elements.
- Troublesome .net interaction.
- Some CSS-related problems exist due to the customization of themes.
- It requires a lot of code overwritten while custom designing.
8. Intel SDK
Hybrid App Development Cost: 25$ to 40$ per hour.
- It provides a lot of tools for developers, which makes it a one-stop-shop for all kinds of development activities.
- The latest releases extend its support to Android, iOS, and windows.
- It also provides a live preview option on the connected devices.
- It creates loads of codes which are not required due to its drag and drop feature.
9. Onsen UI
It is an open-source UI development framework that is used to create HTML5 hybrid mobile apps based on PhoneGap/ Cordova. From their detailed guideline, you will get basic knowledge and be able to check out examples of phased app creation. OnsenUI provides the ease of Use for the developers to build applications by gathering the native-looking components.
Hybrid app Development cost: 20$ to 35$ hourly.
- Onsen UI is an open-source and free platform.
- It’s easy to use the framework.
- It is compatible with both jquery and angular Js.
- This tool comes with enough features like the Font Awesome, screen transition, theme roller, and many more.
- Non-availability of templates on open-sourced repositories.
- It takes a lot of time to customize standard templates.
10. Phone Gap
Hybrid app Development cost: 20$ to 35$ hourly.
- No investment and specific knowledge needed to work on this platform.
- You don’t need to waste time on multi-platform validation, just work closely with API.
- PhoneGap can be used for a large variety of desktop and mobile devices.
- The system could use more UI widgets in the framework.
- Performance is not best when compared to other hybrid app development platforms.
Which hybrid cross-platform mobile application is best for you?
As you can see, there is a lot of worthy options for frameworks available in the market. To select the best one, you just need to analyze your requirements, a clear picture of your end products and select the most suitable technology for you.
How can we help you ?
After reading about all technologies, If you are still unable to make the decision, then you can hire a specialist from our team. We have a vast experience in developing mobile apps and can provide you with the tips you need to be successful. Just pick up any desired framework and reach out to us. We will then work closely with you to translate your business idea into reality.